Polygon outline width

Gilles Bassière gilles.bassiere at MAKINA-CORPUS.COM
Fri Jul 27 09:09:22 EDT 2007

Hi there,

I wonder whether it's possible to have no outline for a polygon.
My first attempt was to set the WIDTH property of the STYLE element to 0
in my MapFile but I got an error from MapServer, it seems to be an
invalid value.
As I might need to display the same data through GeoServer, I decided to
move all style information to a SLD. I wrote the following SLD :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<StyledLayerDescriptor
               version="1.0.0"
               xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/sld"
               xmlns:gml="http://www.opengis.net/gml"
               xmlns:ogc="http://www.opengis.net/ogc"
               xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
               xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/sld
http://schemas.opengis.net/sld/1.0.0/StyledLayerDescriptor.xsd"

   <!-- WATER -->
   <NamedLayer>
      <Name>water</Name>
      <UserStyle>
         <FeatureTypeStyle>
            <Rule>
               <Name>Water bodies</Name>
               <PolygonSymbolizer>
                  <Fill>
                     <CssParameter name="fill">#99b3cc</CssParameter>
                  </Fill>
                  <Stroke>
                     <CssParameter name="stroke">#0000FF</CssParameter>
                     <CssParameter name="stroke-width">0.0</CssParameter>
                  </Stroke>
               </PolygonSymbolizer>
            </Rule>
         </FeatureTypeStyle>
      </UserStyle>
   </NamedLayer>
</StyledLayerDescriptor>

My map is rendered without any error but there is still an outline. I
tried to set opacity to 0.0 but it's not supported by MapServer. I can
set the same color for stroke and fill but having a 1px outline means
that a very thin river is rendered with, at least, a 2 pixels width and
this is not really nice when viewing the map at higher scales...
If I remove the Stroke element Mapserver seems to set automatically a
1px outline using the fill color.

Does anyone know a workaround to get rid of polygon outlines ?

--
Gilles Bassiere
MAKINA CORPUS