Coloring 32bit floating point rasters

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Sat Jul 28 10:15:24 EDT 2007

Samuel Hiatt wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am trying to serve up several floating point 32-bit rasters and I am
> curious to know the best way to render these images in color.  I've read
> that it is possible to use a LUT to define the colors of a pseudo-color
> image, but only for byte data (256 colors).
>
> Has anyone already tackled this problem of displaying these float32
> rasters?  What do y'all think is the best way to do it?

Sam,

I was going to suggested using the RFC 6 colorrange mechanism, but on
reflection, I'm pretty sure I never implemented it for raster data.

The "normal" approach is just to use quite a few classes - one per color.
It's hard to have enough classes to give really continuous color, but you
can do a bunch of graduations and assign each range a nice name (or numeric
value range in text) to appear in the legend.

Best regards,