Google Maps as Mapserver Layer

P Kishor punk.kish at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 1 17:08:20 EST 2007

On 3/1/07, Richie Pierce <rpierce at actgeospatial.com> wrote:
> I'm not completely familiar with the details on the data being provided to
> Google.  I'm almost positive there was no monetary exchange.  But like I
> said, Arkansas might be a little different because the data is already
> available, at no fee, for download, from our State clearinghouse.  So
> providing the data to Google wasn't really that big of a deal.  Saying that
> the States that do it are idiots is kind of harsh.

Yes, that is harsh, but I didn't say that. And for historical purposes
I want to reiterate that point to ensure I am not misquoted. I said,
"If the States just gave their data away without negotiating
substantive rights in return, then heck, those States are idiots." A
reasonable interpretation of that statement would be that

if (data are not available for free normally) && (States give it away,
aka, "for free," to Google) && (States do not negotatiave rights to
continue to use that data as they want) then those States are idiots.

I also said "I doubt though that that is the case." From what you are
saying, these data are available for free anyway, so there seems to be
absolutely no wrong done, implied or otherwise, by Google or the
State. The above statement just doesn't apply.

I agree with everything you say below. Your 2 cents are worth a lot more. ;-)