Apache segfaults on HUP after adding WFS/GML support to PHP/Mapscript

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at RAAD.TARTU.EE
Mon Mar 5 17:09:01 EST 2007

Hello!

We have a webserver consisting of:

FreeBSD 5.5
Apache 2.0.59
PHP 5.2.1 (installed as Apache DSO)
PHP/Mapscript 4.10.1

This combo was working fine, until we added WFS client support, which
meant adding --with-wfsclient to Mapserver configuration, installing
xerces-c2 v2.7.0 and re-configuring and re-installing GDAL 1.3.1 with
the --with-xerces switch.

By doing this, we seem to have introduced an unpleasant problem - Apache
can no longer be restarted with HUP signal (such as running 'apachectl
restart'). This results in Apache dying with signal 11 and not starting
up again, until started manually.

As soon as we remove the php_mapscript.so extension from php.ini, the
problem disappears - except that then our GIS applications are
unavailable ;)

The backtrace of coredump is simply:
#0  0x2970b444 in ?? ()
#1  0x283cd007 in _pthread_main_np () from /lib/libc.so.5
#2  0x28415beb in __hostdata_init () from /lib/libc.so.5
#3  0x28416348 in gethostbyname () from /lib/libc.so.5
#4  0x0806f26e in ap_get_local_host ()
#5  0x0806bcd3 in ap_fini_vhost_config ()
#6  0x0806b3c6 in main ()

I guess this is not very informative. But maybe someone has encountered
similar problems?

--
Toomas Aas