MapServer performance

Travis Kirstine tkirstine at JDBARNES.COM
Fri Mar 23 11:00:25 EDT 2007

Antti,
I will think you will find that if you create a mapserver spatial index
files (.qix) for all shapefiles using the shptree utility performance will
improve.  Also  if you have large shp files you may consider 1. chopping up
the files into smaller tiles and referencing the files with a tiles with a
index (use tile4ms) and/or 2. extracting classes from the shapefile based on
attributes eg separating a roads layer to major, highways, local etc...
Increasing performance of raster data has been written about quite a bit on
the list but the basic idea is to create a series of rasters of varying
resolutions and sizes that will be turned on and off using the MINSCALE
MAXSCALE in you mapfile.  For example if you have high resolution imagery
(1m pixel resolution) you could create a reduced resolution tile or merge
together a group of tiles with a resolution of 10m that would be viewed when
the user is zoomed out.  You may also consider chopping some of your large
files to smaller tiles.  The rasters should have overviews (created with
gdaladdo) have internal tiles and referenced with a tile index (created with
gdaltindex).
See:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/raster_data/#raster-display-performa
nce-tips