Running MapServer from CD or DVD

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at STATE.MN.US
Fri Mar 30 09:26:02 EDT 2007

Several years ago, I created a demo app that ran off of a CD.  I used a
'small footprint' Web server called SambarServer.

It worked fine.  With a DVD and much faster machines, this should
perform even better.

David.

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Pericles S. Nacionales
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:19 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Running MapServer from CD or DVD

Sure!  You can use MapServer's map mode (mode=map) to generate your maps

without having to create a temporary directory.  You won't be able to
use WMS (and WFS/WCS) as they require IMAGEPATH and IMAGEURL (which
needs to be writeable) but chances are you don't want to use those
anyway.  You might also be able to use OpenLayers if you don't want to
create your own interface.

To make this work on any CD/Drive drive, make sure to omit the drive
letter when defining paths in Apache and MapServer.  See MS4W to get an
idea of what I'm talking about.

Cheers!
-Perry