Projection definitions for epsg:2391-2393 (Finnish KKJ)

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Mon May 14 15:08:42 EDT 2007

Hi Frank,

>If there are multiple ways (multiple sets of parameters) then to be "safe"
>none of them are used.

>I don't know if that is the case in for KKJ or not without quite a bit of
>digging.

>If there was one clearly preferred set of parameters that you and everyone
>else can agree on, then I can set an override in the epsg file generation
>process to use that.  But I don't like to be in the position where I add
>them at one persons suggestion, and then someone else emails me suggesting
>different values.

I think this field does not need any more digging from you but the Finnish Geodetic Institute (FGI) has done that already.  The yield was the set of parameters that Külli was referring to. I believe that they really are those that should be used as default, but I will discuss with my colleagues at FGI first and let them to say the final word. KKJ parameters has been an irritating problem with every GIS package giving their own slightly different parameters, some of them having up to three sets to select from, and some shipped with totally wrong defaults. Unfortunately KKJ system has also local distortions which mean that even the best parameters can lead to 1-2 meter errors if used nationwide.  But let's see if I can get a clear recommendation from FGI.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-