my .prj file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Tue May 22 08:56:46 EDT 2007

anthony farrant wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I've done some translation effort but in vain. I'm using QGis to try to
> figure
> out the correct extent because the one given by gdalinfo is the PIXEL
> resolution:
>
> Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
> Lower Left  (    0.0, 4251.0)
> Upper Right ( 4901.0,    0.0)
> Lower Right ( 4901.0, 4251.0)
> Center      ( 2450.5, 2125.5)
>
> Of course when projecting a WGS84 point layer on top of this gives a
> totally incorrect map with wildly shifted points.

Anthony,

It would appear the files are not GeoTIFF files and have no georefernecing
information.  I didn't try downloading it, but if it is typical GTOPO data,
the region of the data will be implicit in the filename.

You may be able to construct an appropriate world file but I don't know the
details without spending quite a bit more time.

Best regards,