turn layer labels on and off dynamically

Gregor Mosheh gregor at HOSTGIS.COM
Tue May 29 23:06:00 EDT 2007

> I am using the Java MapScript for my application and I would like to
> present the option for the user to decide whether or not to show labels
> for a given layer. Is there any way to turn the label for a layer on or
> off dynamically? I didn't see anything obvious in the MapScript API.

Speaking from the world of PHP/Mapscript, with hopes that it's
applicable to your situation... Our solution is to set the label color
to something invalid, to suppress the rendering of labels, e.g.:

    $class = $layer->getClassNyName('roads');
    if (!$labels) {
       $class->label->color->setRGB(-1,-1,-1);
    }

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth
System Administrator, HostGIS cartographic development & hosting services

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA