WMS Server: Filtering Raster/Vector data based on request params

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Oct 2 16:27:14 EDT 2007

Jeremy -

I'll defer to Tom and others on the filtering questions, but I hope you
don't really intend to have a map file with over 100,000 layers!  I am
assuming that those are not 100,000 logically separate layers but rather a
small number of layers each of which is represented by a large number of
individual image files.  If that's the case, you need to consider using a
TILEINDEX mechanism to logically group images together.  The images in a
TILEINDEX layer do not need to be "uniform in size, density, or color model"
- they are just a collection of raster images that are, for the purposes of
your application, a single logical set.

If that is not suitable for you, then I would recommend you consider
creating (in an automated way) a large number of small mapfiles, and using
some logic in constructing your MapServer request to direct each request to
the small mapfile appropriate to that request.  If you do indeed have a
scenario in which only one image is ever used in a request, then you might
actually want to have 100,000 mapfiles, each with one layer.  That will not
be a performance problem, but 100,000 layers in one mapfile will give you
some serious performance challenges.

     - Ed

--
Ed McNierney