'straightened' roads and projection

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at DUIF.NET
Wed Oct 3 05:43:01 EDT 2007

Hi List,

my 'problem": I've a set of roads in a normal coordinate system. I've
got an algorithm to 'stretch up' these road (points) so they can be
viewed more easily. A sort of symbolisation. The roads are seen as
horizontal lines, every x meter road is one pixel on the (symbolic) map.
The (call it 'reprojected') data is in a postgis database).

What's the easiest/best way to view this 'maps' via mapserver? I want to
be able to click on road-segments to get featureinfo of them, and I want
to be able to do classification on the segments.
I'm aware of the fact that the hardest part is the 'reprojection' of the
roads.
I'm uncertain if I should re project this stuff in the normal (metric)
coordinate system, or I should 'pixelize/rasterize' it.
And IF I rasterize them, what kind of 'projection' I should use then, it
sounds like a raster then with a 1:1 world file, but I do not have a
real raster...?

Any ideas, or pointers to information will be appreciated; I thought of
an article about serving rontgen or dna- images using mapserver which is
near I think, but I can't find it anymore.

TIA

Richard Duivenvoorde