Displaying adjacent SHP files in MapServer? (converting from MapInfo)

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 8 15:00:52 EDT 2007

Thank you, vishal! :)

However, I'm not really familiar with Tile Indexing,
though. From what I read from here:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/tile4ms

Tile Indexing enables MapServer to automatically
position of multiple shapefiles, according to their
vector coordinate relative to each other, am I
correct? Thus, I don't have to manually configure
which particular shape file should be positioned next
to another shape file, etc, etc, do I?

If that's the case, then I'm glad to hear it, because
manually positioning each shape file is of course a
nightmare. O_O

I still have concerns, though: my shapefiles will be
converted from MapInfo's .TAB files. Assuming that
MapServer's will automatically put each shapefile,
based on their coordination relative to each other,
will there be innacuracies due to converting from
MapInfo? For example, will there be a slight
overlapping between Province, that needs to be
eliminated by hand-tuning? (pardon my paranoia because
I'm a newbie)

Also, is there any set of downloadable shapefiles for
tutorial purpose, specifically for Tile Indexing
tutorial?

Many, many thanks again,
-Kresh

--- vishal nagpal <vishu_73ns at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> Yes it is possible to join several shape files using
> tile indexing.
> It will not be difficult once you are familiar with
> the basic functioning of Mapserver
> This is what I know and have been doing,
> All the best,
> Vishal
> --- Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
> <kreshna_iceheart at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a MapServer newbie, and I'm to show a GIS map
> of
> > a country using
> > MapServer.
> >
> > The source is MapInfo, and the country's map is
> > actually made of several
> > adjacent .TAB files (each .TAB file consists a
> > Province) instead of  a single
> > TAB file.
> >
> > I'm going to convert those MapInfo files into ESRI
> > SHP files.
> >
> > My question is:
> >
> > (1) Can MapServer display several adjacent SHP
> files
> > as a single map, like what
> > MapInfo does with those multiple TAB files?
> >
> > (2) Is it difficult or complex to do the #1 above?
> > Is it time-consuming?
> > Development time is my concern here, especially
> > since I'm not going to display
> > every details of the original MapInfo maps --only
> > those relevant to public
> > information needs.
> >
> > (3) Will it be better to combine those multiple
> > MapInfo TAB files into a single
> > large TAB file, and then convert it to SHP file to
> > be displayed by MapServer?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Kresh

> Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a
> reality with Yahoo! Autos.
> http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with women, with marriage, with God, religions, bars, nightclubs, computer games, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.