PHP/Mapscript and Zend Optimizer

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at RAAD.TARTU.EE
Sun Oct 14 12:52:08 EDT 2007

Hello!

Are there any known incompatibilities between PHP/Mapscript and Zend
Optimizer? Or, to put it differently, is anyone successfully running a
server with both PHP/Mapscript and Zend Optimizer?

Our web developers recently requested that I add Zend Optimizer to our
web server, so I'm trying to. Since our existing PHP had to be
re-compiled anyway to support Zend Optimizer, I used the opportunity to
upgrade PHP from 5.2.3 to 5.2.4 and Mapserver from 4.10.2 to 5.0.0. Then
I added Zend Optimizer 3.3.0a. With this new software setup, I started
getting (seemingly) random cases of httpd dying with Signal 11 (I have
PHP installed as Apache module). As soon as I remove Zend Optimizer,
everything is fine.

I haven't been able to get a decent coredump from Apache, so I'm really
grasping at straws here. But reading the Zend Optimizer forum seems to
indicate that in the past Zend Optimizer has had some problems with
various 'third party' extensions. If I could hear from someone
successfully running PHP/Mapscript and Zend Optimizer, I could at least
eliminate one possible source of the problem.

This is happening on FreeBSD 6.2 (amd64), Apache 2.2.6, mod_php 5.2.4,
php_mapscript 5.0.0.

--
Toomas Aas
... If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses.