libmapscript.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64. Java Mapscript woes on AMD64

Rodrigo Del C. Andrade rodrigo.andrade at DIGITRO.COM.BR
Mon Oct 15 14:15:47 EDT 2007

    Hello dear list.

    I was given a new machine to develop on and I am trying to get Java
mapscript to run on AMD64, Fedora Core 7 64bits, but I am getting a
nasty error when I try to 'make test' after compiling JavaMapscript
(Mapserver 4.1x series, from svn revision 6176. I havent had time to
give 5.0 a go yet) :

[root at dinamico132 java]# make test
javac -classpath ./:examples/:./mapscript.jar -d examples/
examples/ConnPool.java examples/DrawMap.java examples/DumpShp.java
examples/MakePoint.java examples/QueryByAttribute.java
examples/ShapeInfo.java examples/WxSTest.java examples/Metadata.java
examples/RunTimeBuiltWMSClient.java
javac -encoding iso-8859-15 -classpath ./:examples/:./mapscript.jar -d
examples/ examples/QueryByAttributeUnicode.java
java -classpath ./:examples/:./mapscript.jar -Djava.library.path=.
DumpShp ../../tests/point.shp
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/home/home2/install/mapserver_svn_6176/mapscript/java/libmapscript.so:
/home2/install/mapserver_svn_6176/mapscript/java/libmapscript.so: wrong
ELF class: ELFCLASS64
make: *** [test] Error 255

    I am compiling mapsserver with

    ./configure \
   --prefix=$MAPSERVER_HOME \
   --without-pdf \
   --with-threads \
   --with-png=/home2/mapserver/libpng \
   --with-freetype=/home2/mapserver/freetype \
   --with-gd=/home2/mapserver/gd \
   --with-geos=/home2/mapserver/geos/bin/geos-config \
   --with-ogr=/home2/mapserver/gdal/bin/gdal-config \
   --with-gdal=/home2/mapserver/gdal/bin/gdal-config \
   --with-proj=/home2/mapserver/proj4 \
   --with-wfs \
   --with-wcs \
   --with-wmsclient \
   --with-wfsclient \

    after successfully building luibPNG, FreeType, GD, GEOS and GDAL to
the directories you can see on the configure line above, and I am using
java 1.6.0.
    I gotta admit I am new to this 64 bits business, but I looked around
and found references to compiling stuff with a -fPIC flag, so I went
back and recompiled everything manually adding a -fPIC to the compiler
flags in every Makefile along the way, but I still got the same error.
    Does anyone got a clue about this?

    Thanks!

--

*Rodrigo Del C. Andrade*
/Programador/

*DÍGITRO TECNOLOGIA*
*E-mail:* rodrigo.andrade at digitro.com.br
<mailto:rodrigo.andrade at digitro.com.br>
*Fone:* +55 48 3281-7314 / +55 48 3281-7000
*Fax:* +55 48 3281-7299
*Site:* www.digitro.com <http://www.digitro.com>