FONTSET problem on mac os x - empty rectangles in the image

William Kyngesburye woklist at KYNGCHAOS.COM
Tue Oct 16 00:40:23 EDT 2007

I was thinking it might be an encoding problem.  Now that I look
closely at the font you are using, that's not a good choice.  A lot
of the fonts installed in /Library/Fonts by the system are for extra
language support (pretty much all the ttf fonts and dfonts).  'HB' is
for Hebrew.

You should use "Arial" ('arial2' in your fonts.lst).  The problem
there is that Arial is a Mac font suitcase, and Fink's freetype may
not be built properly to handle that, or could be an old freetype - I
had problems a while back building my freetype framework so that Mac
suitcase support worked, but it was fixed in a later FT version.

Even if it does properly support Mac suitcases, MapServer doesn't
support font file face indexes, so you won't be able to get the
different styles from within the suitcase, just the first font face,
which isn't necessarily the plain face.

You're better off finding a .ttf Arial (that is, 4 font files for the
various styles).

On Oct 15, 2007, at 11:09 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> The problem is that the arial    /Library/Fonts/ArialHB.ttf font
> you are using is not the same encoding as the shapefile data.
>
> -Steve

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy