RV: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Don't draw GIF/PNG images on wms clients.]

Gilles Bassière gilles.bassiere at MAKINA-CORPUS.COM
Thu Oct 18 04:16:00 EDT 2007

Manuel Ballesteros Cardador wrote:
> Hi Jukka, I have changed TYPE parameter to RASTER and don't work.
>
> I want to serve local vector(SHP or PostGis DB) to my WMS layer.
>
> I have any mistake?
>
> Best Regards!

The layer TYPE parameter specify the type of your *input* data. So, if
you want to serve vector data, this type should be either 'point',
'line' or 'polygon'. Just keep in mind that a WMS always return an
image, even if you input some vector data.

To specify a shapefile datasource, use:
DATA "/path/to/my/file.shp

To specify a PostGIS datasource, use:
CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
CONNECTION "host=<host_name> dbname=<database_name> user=<user_name>
password=<password> port=<port_number>"
DATA "<geometry_column_name> from <table_name>"
Of course, you have to replace parameter values with your local settings.

You should have a look at
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/mapfile. It's a useful resource.

Regards

--