Coloring floating point raster data

Samuel Hiatt samhiatt at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 25 16:15:30 EDT 2007

Hi all.

I've been struggling for quite a while trying to find an optimal solution
for my situation...

I have a very large archive of raster data (32 bit float) and would like to
provide on-demand access to the data via mapserver.  In order to do this I
need to find a way to color my rasters given a specific color ramp.  This
would be easy if my rasters were byte-scaled, and I could bytescale the
raster first before giving it to mapserver, but I would like to avoid doing
any external processing, and instead let mapserver do the work.  This desire
is enforced by my plans to serve the same data via WCS (actual non
bytescaled data).

Here is how I see the ideal situation would work:
- Mapserver reads in the 32bit float raster   (works just fine)
- Mapserver byte-scales the data as per the PROCESSING "SCALE=min,max"
directive     (also works just fine)
- Mapserver applies the given color ramp to the data that is now
bytescaled     (*** I can't find a way to do this)
- Mapserver spits out the beautiful image   (and everyone is happy)

Is this functionality already implemented (and hidden) in Mapserver?  Does
anyone have any ideas regarding how I should tackle this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sam