MapServer and AGG licences

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Fri Oct 26 00:11:09 EDT 2007

Paul Ramsey wrote:
  > The only people that would be affected by Mapserver+AGG2.5 GPL would be
> folks currently distributing binary-only, ALTERED versions of Mapserver,
> who want to keep their alterations proprietary and closed.  And then
> only if they insisted on distributing binary-only, altered versions of
> Mapserver+AGG2.5!  Not many of those folks, methinks?  MapDotNet Server?
> Anyone else?

Paul,

I would add that MapServer + AGG2.5 GPL could not be distributed in binary
form linked with any components that do not satisfy the GPL source code
access and redistribution requirements of GPL.  So that means binaries
linked with SDE, Oracle, MrSID, ECW, and other libraries which impose
limitations not compatible with the GPL.  That would affect MS4W and
FWTools for instance.

Nevertheless, as you note, AGG 2.4 (pre GPL) is not a problem and so for
now there is no significant issue.

Best regards,