adding support for user authentication within Mapserver for GetCapablities and GetMap

Bob Basques bob.b at GRITECHNOLOGIES.COM
Sat Sep 1 03:40:23 EDT 2007

All,

Ok, upon closer scrutiny, this is about what I was thinking about too as
far as a "Ticketing" system being used for authentication.

Geez, it's in java though  and uses Tomcat . . . .  I've had way too
many problems with this combination in the past especially related to
other application/service conflicts with regard to the way that
different browsers handle things.   Unless you have a fairly captive
audience (which I don't) and can dictate to some extent what they are
using for browsers, this combination can generate real big problems as
far as administration.  I'm not even going to talk about versioning
conflicts, which is a rant all by itself.

I was thinking along the lines of the ticketing authority in combination
with session cookies.  The cookie mechanism even allows for building of
a log-off process.  It's not however entirely secure.  Still pondering
and reading up on this stuff though, thanks for the link.

bobb