TIFF performance: overviews and internal tiles: Surprise!

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 3 03:21:05 EDT 2007

How did you calculate the rendering times? Usually you should run the
program more than once and then average or even discard the lowest and
highest numbers for each run.
Suppose the following:
you run shp2img against the bare tiff once and the OS will do its best
to populate the filesystem cache if there is free memory. If you run
immediately the overview the fs cache will be already filled and the
OS will not be able to do any optimization, so the second run could
show a degraded performance.
To make sure that the initial conditions are the same for all maps you
could also reboot after each group run.

Umberto