Reg. using Map Server as a viewer

P Kishor punk.kish at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 10 09:42:06 EDT 2007

On 9/10/07, Varun Sahni <logon2varun at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Any help regarding this

A question like this is too basic, and is likely to go unanswered. I
will try and provide an answer below, but that may not be enough for
you.

If you want to use MapServer purely as a viewer, and by that, it seems
to imply that you want to use it as a desktop viewer (one person),
then it is really not the right product. Try looking at QGIS or uDig.
MapServer, as the name implies, is a server, and getting it going
takes a bit more than insignificant work, usually worth it in a server
type demand situation.

Whether or not any of these products can read AutoCad data, look at
the docs. AutoCad data come in many different formats... which one
were you interested in? The docs of any of the above products will
tell you.

As I said above, you will have to look at your own data formats and
then look at the docs of the products you are considering.

Good luck.

--
Puneet Kishor
http://punkish.eidesis.org/