latlong issues

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Mon Sep 10 13:48:48 EDT 2007

Chris -

First, I think you¹re using ³geocodes² in an unusual way, and I¹m not really
sure what you mean by it.  ³Geocode² is a verb that means ³take some data
(like street addresses) and turn it into geographic coordinates (like
lat/lon)².  The process is called geocoding.  You¹re using it as a noun and
I really can¹t figure out just what you mean.  If you can give some examples
that would be helpful.

The EXTENT of your map must be specified in the units and coordinates of the
output projection of your map image.  While you can combine lat/lon data and
UTM data in multiple layers, your output map image must be one projection.
As I recall, you were taking a UTM source raster and producing a UTM output
image.  That¹s fine.  Do you want to change that?  I would discourage you
strongly from changing your output projection, as UTM is an excellent choice
for your application.

Your raster map image shows a certain portion of the world, at a certain
resolution/scale, in a particular projection.  Your world file documents
this information so applications can use it.  You can¹t modify your image by
playing with the world file ­ the world file either accurately describes the
raster image, or it¹s wrong.  I think you had a correct world file for your
raster layer already; if so, don¹t touch it ­ you can only make it
incorrect.

If you can explain a little about what your geocodes are and how you need to
display them we can probably help.  If I¹m missing the boat please try to
explain what it is you¹re trying to go (in non-technical terms).

     - Ed

--
Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker