using attributes in the VAT table of an ESRI GRID instead of Value

Julia Harrell julia.harrell at NCMAIL.NET
Thu Sep 13 02:14:34 EDT 2007

Anyone ever find a way to use VAT fields?

I'd sure hate to have convert my statewide GRID to a giant statewide polygon
vector layer just to be able to get at the extended VAT attributes. It would
undoubtedly crawl when it comes to display and query speed, even tiled up
and indexed...

Wondering if there is a way to convert the ESRI Binary GRID (integer, with a
VAT) to an image and "repopulate" the pixel values to reflect what's in the
desired VAT attribute field instead of the VALUE field, but I have not found
a good example of the correct options/parameters to use with GDAL (or
anything else) to accomplish this.

Does anyone else out there know a trick to solve this that they can share?

Thanks,

Julia