[SPAM: low][UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] scale problem

Andreas Albarello andreas.albarello at TERRITORIUMONLINE.COM
Thu Sep 13 17:35:44 EDT 2007

Giuseppe De Rossi wrote:
> I don't know if it is only my experence. Please, try to print a Map after
> setting the scale to a normalized value as for example 1/1000, now on your
> paper try to measure a distance by using a line: the number of n millimeters
> should correspond to n meters, but the line will measure a different number
> of millimeters.

Giuseppe,

this issue might be due to the map's resolution (set in the map file)
and the image's resolution not matching.

Be aware that Mapserver doesn't write any resolution information to the
produced image, and printer drivers usually assume an image is at 96 dpi
if nothing else is given. So, if your map is rendered at 72 dpi by
Mapserver (which I believe is the default) and gets perhaps printed at
96, you'll get some discrepancy.

I'd therefore suggest you try to set your map's resolution to 96 dpi or
alternatively print your image at the same resolution set in the map file.

Best regards,
Andreas Albarello
Analysis & SW Development

Territorium Online srl/GmbH
Via Buozzi/Buozzistraße 12 - I 39100 Bolzano/Bozen
email: andreas.albarello at territoriumonline.com
web:   www.territoriumonline.com