Rasters, TileIndex and Shapefiles - Oh My! Really Confused

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Sep 27 18:52:40 EDT 2007

Chris -

Well, now you've gone and made me feel I have to add a little detail
that I thought we could just sweep under the rug for now <g>.

If your aerial photos are indeed in the UTM projection as we suspect,
and you georeference them in your world file as if they were
latitude/longitude, it MIGHT seem to work over a small area.  But it
will be subtly incorrect.  If your image is really in UTM, and you look
at the corner coordinates in latitude/longitude you will find that the
latitude of the top left corner is NOT the same as the latitude of the
top right corner.  In other words, the correct X coordinate of a pixel
is a function of both X and Y, and that's not a concept you can express
in your world file.  But if the area is small the difference (error)
will also be small, and it will look, at first glance, as if it works.
But you will see a positioning error that will vary in magnitude
depending on your position on the image, and the error drift in your
markers sounds very much like you're seeing the problem I'm talking
about.

If that's the case, then correcting the projection and world file to
accurately describe the image as being in UTM should correct the
problem.  You will also see the same symptom, of course, if the problem
is reversed and the image is in lat/lon but you're treating it like UTM.
The best way to check is to calculate both the UTM and lat/lon
coordinates of all four corners of your image.  It's supposed to be a
rectangle, so the top left Y value should match the top right Y value,
the top right X value should match the bottom right X value, etc.  You
should find that that holds true (or close to it) for only one of your
two coordinate systems - that's the right one.

-          Ed

Ed McNierney

TopoZone.com