[mapserver-users] Extents and projections multiple datasets

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Apr 25 14:49:52 EDT 2008

Gail,

The PROJECTION in each LAYER should be the projection of the *source
data*. So if your data is from multiple folks in multiple projections,
your LAYER projections should generally be different from one another,
not all the same.

The PROJECTION at the MAP level defines what you want your output
projection to be.  You can define your own, or you could pick
something standard that makes sense for your overall extent.  (If you
know what your overall extent is (statewide, coutrywide, global), I
can give you a suggestion.)

So, the LAYER projections are *input* projections, the MAP projection
is an *output* projection. By knowing both the input and output,
mapserver can apply a math transform to the data to project it on the
fly from the input to the output.

Yours,

Paul