[mapserver-users] Re: MapPoint Web Service and Mapserver

ROBERT HOLLINGSWORTH reh2 at prodigy.net
Tue Apr 29 11:01:45 EDT 2008

In other words, you want to have Mapserver consume Mappoint and pass along the images along with Mapserver's own layers to a client app?

Mappoint is SOAP-based?  If so, what I'm doing with ESRI ArcWeb Services SOAP may be similar enough to what you're trying to do to be of interest.

A couple years ago I added ArcWeb SOAP support directly to Mapserver 4.8.3.  See "integration with SOAP-based web services?" Jan 2008 in Mapserver -dev for some explanatory details on that.

Meanwhile, for a current project I decided it would be better to use PHP/Mapscript instead of adding directly to mapserv (.exe).  I found something called "wsdl2php" which extends SoapClient.  Run it on your wsdl file(s) and it generates a .php filled with classes and methods in support of your SOAP requests and replies and data types from the wsdl.

In my case, a WMS client wants the results, so I have a place-holder LAYER in the mapfile, TYPE RASTER, TRANSFORM FALSE.  I use clues in the mapfile plus the WMS request params to generate the SOAP request, then stuff the returned image into a raster file of the requested format so that mapserver will scoop it up as if it had been there all along.

If you need any more details feel free to ask.

Robert H.

 I am using Virtual Earth as the front end of a web system and mapserver as the mapping engine for the reports. Does anyone have any experence or know of any resouces that can help me use Mappoint web services with Mapserver? I want to use Mappoint for the background imagey so my PDF reports look like the map on the screen.

 Thanks for any help.

--
Aaron D. Hunt