[mapserver-users] Dynamic symbols based on attribute - how?

Steve White steve at online-archaeology.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 17:08:37 EDT 2008

I'm using MS4W version 2.2.7 and have an Icon field in my shp file. My map
file CLASS for the layer looks like this:

CLASS

                TEMPLATE
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Map\test.html"

                SYMBOL
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Map\images\[Icon]"

                SIZE 16

                COLOR 255 0 255

END

This doesn't want to play because I get the following error:

Undefined overlay symbol "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Map\images\[Icon]"

If I add an explicit png file name it works, like this:

CLASS

                TEMPLATE
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Map\test.html"

                SYMBOL
"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Map\images\test.png"

                SIZE 16

                COLOR 255 0 255

END

I thought it was possible to use attribute data in a map file like this.

How would I get this to work so that my data holds the filenames and I can
have different icons per item?

Cheers,

Steve