[mapserver-users] Mapserver interacting with graphs and tables?

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Dec 15 11:44:17 EST 2008

We've done it by feeding data to owtchart in a MapServer query template. You could
also create a URL template response consisting of a call to owtchart. Here's an example
page:

  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/deer/mapit2003.html?imgxy=174.5+174.5&map=%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fwww%2Fdocs_maps%2Fwildlife%2Fwhitetail%2Fmain2003.map&imgext=74105.727952+4774937.053875+798393.592828+5499224.918751&layer=total&zoom=1&mode=query&img.x=189&img.y=75

I'm sure there are other Open Source tools to build the graphs in Flash. Or you could
write your own helper tool with something like GD::Graph (Perl) or matplotlib (python).

Would be fastest to prototype with OWTChart quickly and then improve quality as
necessary. We'll be using matplotlib in the near future (AGG or Cairo output).

Steve

>>> Stefan Schwarzer <stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch> 12/15/08 7:31 AM >>>
Hi there,

we've developed a couple of years ago a SVG application, which enables
some interactivity between the graphs, maps and tables. Now, seeing
more and more interactive applications out there (OECD Data Explorer,
IMF, World Bank etc.), which are almost all based on Flex and Flash, I
wonder where we stand nowadays.

I mean, if you would have to develop a data portal, which enables the
visualization of (statistical and geospatial) data in form of maps,
graphics and tables; and you would want the user to for example hover
over a country, getting directly a bar or line chart visualizing the
evolution of this dataset over the last 30 years. How would you do
that? Are there opensource packages out there which can do that?

We've always been into opensource; so, if possible, I would like to
avoid Flash. Furthermore as we don't have any Flash developer.

Then, on the other side, there is ArcGIS Server with Flex frontend.
Slick, very nice. That's in principal what I would want (more or
less)...

Can anyone give me some hints, comments, suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Stef

   Lean Back and Relax - Enjoy some Nature Photography
   http://photoblog.la-famille-schwarzer.de

   Appetite for Global Data? UNEP GEO Data Portal:
   http://geodata.grid.unep.ch