Unusual Fonts

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Sun Jan 6 16:02:01 EST 2008

Neil -

Could you give an example of the text in one of the SpeciesLabel fields?  What alphabet, character set, and language is the SpeciesLabel field stored in?  If you switch to a different FONT does the output change?

At first glance you appear to have code points in the label that are not representable in the selected font.  That might not be the problem, but it's worth eliminating - hence my questions above.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: 978-251-4242, Fax: 978-251-1396
ed at topozone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Neil Fincham
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 3:37 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Unusual Fonts

Hi all,

	I am really enjoying my first delve into mapping and like to say thanks for the great software.

	I am havering a bit of a problem and I am sure it is something easy, I am getting unusual fonts rendering using SDE.  It works fine with the shape files but with SDE the text parts come out wrong.  I have attached a sample.

Here are some bits from my mapfile;-

OUTPUTFORMAT
 NAME 'AGG'
 DRIVER AGG/PNG
 IMAGEMODE RGB
END

LAYER
  NAME LandUnit
  METADATA
    "DESCRIPTION"   "Land Unit"
    "RESULT_FIELDS" "ForestCode Description"
  END
  TYPE POLYGON
  STATUS ON
  CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN
  PLUGIN "/ms4w/Apache/specialplugins/msplugin_sde_92.dll"
  CONNECTION "palustris,port:5155,d,ms_user,p4ss\/\/ord"
  DATA "d.DBO.LandUnit,SHAPE,SDE.DEFAULT"
  TOLERANCE 5
  TEMPLATE "ttt_query.html"
  CLASS
    SYMBOL 0
    COLOR 255 255 255
    OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
    TEXT ([SpeciesLabel] [YOE] [AreaHA]ha)
    LABEL
      FONT "vera"
      TYPE truetype
      SIZE 8
      BUFFER 1
      COLOR 0 0 0
      BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 255 255
      WRAP " "
      ENCODING UTF-16
    END
  END
END # Layer

	The [SpeciesLabel] is the one with the problem, the "[YOE] [AreaHA]ha"
are numbers and render correctly.  I have tried various ENCODING types to no avail.

Thanks for your time

Neil