should (classObj.getLabel() == null) when MAP.LAYER.CLASS has no LABEL ?

rich.fromm nospam420 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 9 20:41:12 EST 2008

Within each MAP.LAYER.CLASS in my *.map files, some classes have a LABEL, but
many do not.  My guess had been that when parsing the classObj in Java
mapscript, that if there was no LABEL, that classObj.getLabel() would return
null labelObj.  This is not the case.  A non-null labelObj is returned
whether
or not there is a LABEL.

Is this intended behavior, or a bug?

There's no way to tell from the mapscript docs, as getLabel() isn't even
listed in "classObj Methods".  (Which I guess is a minor documentation bug
regardless.)

If I look at the classObj.java source, it shows:

--- begin ---
  public labelObj getLabel() {
    long cPtr = mapscriptJNI.get_classObj_label(swigCPtr);
    return (cPtr == 0) ? null : new labelObj(cPtr, false);
  }

I don't totally understand all of the SWIG stuff, but I would guess from
looking at it that it ought to be returning null if not applicable.  But it
doesn't appear to be doing that.