anchor position

Brent Fraser bfraser at GEOANALYTIC.COM
Fri Jan 11 10:48:29 EST 2008

One way would be to create a Mapserver-compatible ANGLE
column on the table (or a view) and populate it in
PostgreSQL with values from the orientation column:

update mytable set angle = orientation/10

I think what you call the anchor point is the
"justification" of the text.  I think Mapserver considers
the point to be the lower left of the text, but you may need
to experiment to confirm this.  It will likely be necessary
to do similar things to calculate the position of the text.

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta

----- Original Message -----
From: "User Map" <map.user at YAHOO.COM>
To: <MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 3:12 AM
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] anchor position

hi, i have a postgre table with the column of anchor
position and orientation. Orietation defines the angle in
tenths of degree and the anchor position is a number between
0 and 8 that specifies which part of the text is bound to
the anchor point.
Each text string that is captured with cartographic
information has a location in the text string, known as its
anchorPosition, which is bound to the digitised coordinate,
known as its anchorPoint. There are nine defined locations,
identified by the numbers 0–8.

how can i use this anchor position for showing the lable
acccordinly, because using only the orientation in the ANGLE
is not labling correctly.