thematic mapping from external db

Nolte, Tim Tim.Nolte at IPCSWIRELESSINC.COM
Mon Jan 14 15:45:41 EST 2008

Ben,

I think what you need to be doing is actually use a spatial query on
your shape data using the results of your external database. I'm not
sure which MapScript you are using, but I've done this with PHP
MapScript do dynamically change the data in my layers using separate
database queries.

----
Timothy J Nolte - tnolte at ilpcs.com
Associate Network Planning Engineer

iPCS Wireless, Inc.
4717 Broadmoor Ave, Suite G
Kentwood, MI 49512

Office: 616-656-5163
PCS:    616-706-2438
Fax:    616-554-6484
Web: www.ipcswirelessinc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ben Thompson
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 2:35 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] thematic mapping from external db

Hello mappers,
We're trying to color shapes on the map according to values from an
extenal database.
I tried adding 5 classes to the mapfile layer, each with a different
color (and no expression)
then setting $oShape->classindex to this or that value in the widget
parseUrl function.
This has no effect. Anyone know why? Am I wrongly assuming that
shapindex is supposed to dictate which class the shape belongs to? Ideas
for another way?

Thanks,
Ben Thompson