Plate Carre with latitude shift

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Thu Jan 17 07:57:42 EST 2008

Espen -

Yes, that should be what you expect.  If you change the latitude of true
scale, then you're changing the relationship between the size of a
degree of longitude at a given latitude.  Normally the line of 60
degrees North latitude is "stretched" horizontally to be larger than it
should be.  It is displayed so that it appears that one degree of
longitude (at that latitude) is the same size as one degree of longitude
at the Equator (instead of being only half as long).  That makes it
appear to be the same size as a degree of latitude and therefore you can
easily interpolate coordinates because they are the same size.

When you change the latitude of true scale to 60 degrees North, you are
making every degree of longitude equal 0.5 degrees of latitude, and you
can no longer treat them as simple X/Y coordinates to read latitude and
longitude.  You need to keep in mind that you are really using a
different projection, so your coordinate system is going to be
different.

	- Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: UMN MapServer Users List [mailto:MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU] On
Behalf Of Espen Isaksen
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:41 PM
To: MAPSERVER-USERS at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Plate Carre with latitude shift

To further discuss this topic. I created a map of Europe in a regular
EPSG:32662(proj=eqc) and one map of Europe with a latitude shift to 60
degrees north:

Map of Europe in 32662:
http://bildr.no/view/143324

Map of Europe with latitude shift:
http://bildr.no/view/143325

The latter is close to what I want. However, if I move my zoom in to
some part of the nordic countries, the decimal degree coordinates will
no longer correspond with my coordinates in my 32662 projection with
the latitude shift. Why is this?

Espen