Trouble with OGC Workshop WFS Client Demo

Scott Wittenburg wwittenburg at COMCAST.NET
Thu Jan 17 14:59:23 EST 2008

Hello All,

I'm new to mapserver, and I'm having trouble getting
one of the OGC Workshop demos to work.  Hopefully
I'll include enough support information here so that
someone can help me figure what I'm doing wrong.
If anything is missing, please ask and I'll provide any
other necessary details.  Thanks for taking the time
to read this problem description.

Ok, specifically, when I attempt to run the WFS client
demo, I get an error in my browser window which
looks like this:

msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named 'envirodat'. msOGRFileOpen(): OGR error. Open failed for OGR connection `/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/e80d38d9bdf59eada6d84cd0b21eb99e.tmp.gml'. File not found or unsupported format.

The url that generated this error was:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=%2Fms4w%2Fapps%2Fms_ogc_workshop%2Fclient%2Fwfs%2Fdemo.map&layer=envirodat&layer=rivers&layer=land_shallow_topo_2048&zoomsize=2&zoomdir=1&program=%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmapserv.exe&map_web=imagepath+%2Fms4w%2Ftmp%2Fms_tmp%2F+imageurl+%2Fms_tmp%2F

When I look in the directory "C:\ms4w\tmp\ms_tmp\",
I see the file in question and I've looked at it.  It
appears to be valid GML, though the cygwin "ls -lt"
command shows the file permissions as
"-rwxrwx---".  Is this a problem (not world readable)?
The "C:\ms4w\tmp\ms_tmp\" directory permissions
are even more restrictive: "drwx------".  I've tried
opening up all the permissions on all these
files and directories, but it didn't seem to help.

Here are some system configuration details:

I'm running Windows XP, SP2.  I installed MS4W
version 2.2.6 and the OGC Workshop version 1.0.8
into the recommended location, "C:\" (root directory
is "C:\ms4w\").  Everything seemed to work fine,
and several of the workshop demos worked fine,
but when I clicked on the WFS-Client demo link
and then clicked the "Initialize" button, I got the
error message shown above.

I noticed a message in the archives that looked
very similar to this error, but the problem was
actually an extra path separator char getting put
into the tmp file path.  Other than that, I haven't
really seen this problem addressed anywhere,
so most people obviously aren't seeing it.  One
thing I found that people have said could be a
problem is the version of OGR/GDAL used by
mapserver.  I've used the
"C:\ms4w\tools\gdal-ogr\ogrinfo.exe
program to look at the tmp gml file in question:

C:\ms4w\tools\gdal-ogr>ogrinfo.exe C:\ms4w\tmp\ms_tmp\e80d38d9bdf59eada6d84cd0b21eb99e.tmp.gml

Had to open data source read-only.
INFO: Open of 'C:\ms4w\tmp\ms_tmp\e80d38d9bdf59eada6d84cd0b21eb99e.tmp.gml'
           using driver 'GML' successfull.
1: envirodat

So that seems fine, doesn't it?  The MS4W 2.2.6
documentation says it includes "GDAL/OGR 1.4.2
and Utilities", so that seems fine too.

Here's the mapfile of the demo that caused the
problem:

#
# $Id: demo.map,v 1.2 2006/08/08 19:02:46 tkralidi Exp $
#
# Start of map file
#

MAP

 # all temp files get prefixed with this string
 NAME ms_ogc_workshop

 # always returns a map
 STATUS ON

 # image format options
 OUTPUTFORMAT
  NAME png
  DRIVER "GD/PNG"
  MIMETYPE "image/png"
  IMAGEMODE RGB
  EXTENSION "png"
 END

 # width / height of map image
 SIZE 500 300

 # projection of the INTERFACE that this mapfile supports
 PROJECTION
  "init=epsg:4326"
 END

 # minx miny maxx maxy
 EXTENT -180 -90 180 90 # World

 # units of map/app
 UNITS DD

 # def pointers for symbols

 SYMBOLSET "../../etc/symbols/symbols.sym"
 FONTSET   "../../etc/fonts/fonts.txt"

 #
 # Start of web interface definition
 #
 WEB

  TEMPLATE "../../templates/demo.html"
  HEADER   "../../templates/query_header.html"
  FOOTER   "../../templates/query_footer.html"

  # this is set in the form which initializes the page, but can be set here if you want
  IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"

  # this is set in the form which initializes the page, but can be set here if you want
  IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
 END

 #
 # Start of reference map
 #
 REFERENCE
  # which image is the base image for refmaps
  # a area of interest box will be drawn on top of it
  IMAGE ../../graphics/refmap_world_4326.gif

  # extents of ref image (minx miny maxx maxy)
  EXTENT -180 -90 180 90

  # width / height of image
  SIZE 150 75

  # always generated
  STATUS ON

  COLOR -1 -1 -1

  # color of outline
  OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
 END

 #
 # Start of legend
 #
 LEGEND
  KEYSIZE 18 12
  LABEL
   TYPE BITMAP
   SIZE MEDIUM
   COLOR 0 0 89
  END
  TEMPLATE "../../templates/legend.html"
  STATUS ON
 END

 #
 # Start of scalebar
 #
 SCALEBAR
  IMAGECOLOR 255 0 0
  LABEL
   COLOR 0 0 0
   SIZE tiny
  END
  STYLE 1
  SIZE 80 2
  COLOR 0 0 0
  UNITS KILOMETERS
  INTERVALS 1
  TRANSPARENT TRUE
  STATUS TRUE
 END

 # start of querymap object
 QUERYMAP
  SIZE 200 200
  STATUS ON
  STYLE HILITE
  COLOR 255 0 0
 END

 # start of layer definitions

 LAYER
  # name of layer
  NAME land_shallow_topo_2048
  GROUP "RASTER"

  # projection: if the data is NOT in the same projection as the global
  # mapfile, you must explicitly give the native projection code of the data
  # some common projections:
  # lat/long: epsg:4326
  # NRCan LCC: epsg:42304
  PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  # what type of data is this?
  TYPE RASTER

  # always returned with interface
  STATUS ON

  # actual data pointer
  DATA ../../data/land_shallow_topo_2048.tif

  DUMP TRUE

  HEADER   "../../templates/land_shallow_topo_2048_query_header.html"
  TEMPLATE "../../templates/land_shallow_topo_2048_query_body.html"

  TOLERANCE 5

 END

 LAYER
  # name of layer
  NAME rivers
  GROUP "VECTOR"

  # projection: if the data is NOT in the same projection as the global
  # mapfile, you must explicitly give the native projection code of the data
  # some common projections:
  # lat/long: epsg:4326
  # NRCan LCC: epsg:42304
  PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  # what type of data is this?
  TYPE LINE

  # always returned with interface
  STATUS ON

  # actual data pointer
  DATA ../../data/rivers

  # data is queryable
  DUMP TRUE

  # query templates for HTML-based queries
  HEADER   ../../templates/rivers_query_header.html
  TEMPLATE ../../templates/rivers_query_body.html

  TOLERANCE 5

  # how will this data look?
  CLASS
   NAME "Rivers"
   COLOR 0 0 255
  END
 END

 LAYER
  NAME envirodat
  GROUP "VECTOR"
  TYPE POINT
  STATUS ON
  # this is a remote OGC:WFS
  CONNECTIONTYPE WFS

  # the server URL prefix
  # MapServer will add the OGC:WMS specific
  # keyword value pairs accordingly
  #CONNECTION "http://map.ns.ec.gc.ca/envdat/map.aspx?service=WFS&version=1.0.0&request=GetFeature"
  CONNECTION "http://map.ns.ec.gc.ca/envdat/map.aspx?"

  PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  # base info MapServer needs to know to generate the
  # OGC:WFS GetFeature request
  METADATA

   # MapServer default sends POST
   # force to GET

   "wfs_request_method" "GET"

   # how long (in seconds) should MapServer use
   # in issuing and receiving the data?
   "wfs_connectiontimeout" "60"

   # which version of the OGC:WFS should MapServer communicate with
   "wfs_version" "1.0.0"

   # service type for connection
   # this info is a bit redundant
   "wfs_service" "WFS"

   # what is the feature type you are querying
   "wfs_typename" "envirodat"

   # what is the spatial extent?
   "wfs_latlonboundingbox" "-64.6622 46.7594 -52.6808 55.2333"
   #
  END
  #
  # MapServer will then use this information to generate a string like:
  # http://map.ns.ec.gc.ca/envdat/map.aspx?version=<wfs_version>&service=<wfs_service>&request=GetFeature&typename=<wfs_typename>
  #
  # missing required keyword value pairs get generated according
  # to the application using this mapfile, i.e.:
  # &bbox, &filter, etc.

  CLASS
   NAME "Water Quality Monitoring Stations"
   COLOR 255 255 0
  END
 END
END