Different GetCapabilities and GetMap onlineresources in WMS

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at MMMTIKE.FI
Tue Jan 22 10:34:03 EST 2008

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington]

>> I have faced a WMS service that is configured to use
>> different onlineresources for GetCapabilities, GetMap and
>> GetFeatureInfo requests.  I do not have a live access to the
>> service yet so I have to ask: When Mapserver is used as a WMS
>> client, does it parse the onlineresource URLs from the
>> GetCapabilities document or is it just using the same base
>> URL for all requests? Or is there a possibility to give this
>> essential information with some metadata entry like
>> "wms_GetMap_onlineresource"?

>The latter.  As a WMS Client, MapServer does not parse the remote WMS'
>Capabilities XML, but uses the CONNECTION directive within LAYER.  That
>said, there are cases (not many, but there are) where OnlineResource's
>differ between operations.

>So, in this case, you would use the OnlineResource for GetMap as the
>CONNECTION in your mapfile.

Oh, naturally. I was thinking about how to pass on the GetCapabilities info, but with cascading WMS it is me who is generating and sending that info for the clients. And if I remember right, GetFeatureInfo does not work with cascading WMS so it does not matter if Mapserver does not know where to send those requests.

-Jukka-