Map file with 35,000+ Lines... management issue

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at CI.STPAUL.MN.US
Wed Jan 23 14:42:44 EST 2008

Espen,

What if any are the performance hits with this approach?  Is the Mapfile assembled before any sort of reading if it is attempted, and it's simply the opening of the additional files that affect the performance?

I do have a system like this in place, but it's for some rather simple looking cartography and it works well with a request handler (Not GeoMoose) that assembles the INCLUDE chunk upon request to build the MAPFILE on the fly for the MapSERVER CGI request, this is real borderline DataBase stuff too, as it's really getting close to the point of putting it into a DB instead of keeping in FLAT files.

This applies to my previous message too about the abundance of layers in our applications.  It would be far easier to build a Webified version of a MAPFILE builder, that still maintained the option(s) of letting each data custodian handle their own cartography for example.

This would certainly be a way of removing the some of the MAPFILE complexities from the average data custodians.  It's something we have been thinking about doing as a module for GeoMoose for example.  Just haven't got it all quite figured out completely yet.   There are some other similar systems for this too that I need to review first as well.  But in the interest of getting the MAPFILE smaller and more manageable . .  .  :c)

bobb

Bob Basques
GIS Systems Developer
City of Saint Paul, MN