Mapserver 5.0.0 installation fails at GEOS

William Hudspeth bhudspeth at EDAC.UNM.EDU
Thu Jan 31 13:57:04 EST 2008

Perry,

OK, so far so good. Your suggestion fixed the build problem, and it appears
to be installed. I got rid of all older packages of GEOS, including in
/usr/lib, and took care of the ld.so.conf issues. I am now trying to get PHP
mapscript up and running, but am having a problem.

I had to create an "extension" directory where I built PHP

/usr/local/php5/lib/php/extension

I copied the php_mapscript.so file to this location, added the directory
path to "extension_dir" in php.ini, and restarted apache.

When I include the following in a *.php file

dl('php_mapscript.so');

I get these errors:

Warning: dl() [function.dl]: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/local/php5/lib/php/extension/php_mapscript.so' - libgeos.so.2: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory in
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/hello.php on line 3

Obviously something to do with shared objects, and am guessing it had
something to do with a configuration option in either PHP or Mapserver????

Thanks a million, Bill