[mapserver-users] How to query attributes via WMS

Steve White steve at online-archaeology.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 14:02:24 EDT 2008

I'm using mapserver to overlay png tiles over a google maps interface and
it's working well. I have a series of shp files on the server and I want to
build a search interface so the user can query the actual data. An example
would be in simple terms: 'select all data from shp where layer =
'thislayer' and field like '%castle%''.

Is it possible to interpret a variable if I sent it via the Url with the WMS
call? For example, I'll tag on &TestVar=castle to the WMS call. Can the map
file be set up to interpret TestVar and perform a query against a shp file
field in a given layer?

Thanks,

Steve