[mapserver-users] Problem Plotting a Symbol

pw p.willis at telus.net
Mon Jun 2 14:17:45 EDT 2008

Hello,

1.)
I am plotting some points using mapserver however the CIRCLE symbol
appears to be plotting 4 times for each geographic point.
The four plotted points are located top,bottom,right, and left of the
geographic center of the point.
Each point looks like a little 4 petal daisy rather than a circle.
I have tried altering the symbol file to see if it is a definition
problem. As far as I can see the 'circle' symbol definition is
the same as the default.
Is there a solution for this problem?

2.)
Second to this, mapserver appears to be plotting the geographic
points and then warping to the output map projection. As a result
of this vector point icons appear to be distorted due to warping.
Is there any way to force mapserver to plot vectors with respect to
the output projection on the final map rather than plotting them
on the input map before warping?

Below is the information from mapserver related to
this problem.

Mapserver version:

MapServer version 4.10.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

/*......LAYER FROM MAP FILE.................*/

LAYER
  NAME "My_points"
  GROUP "vectors"
  METADATA
   "wfs_title"  "Some Points"
   "DESCRIPTION"  "Various Points"
  END
  PROJECTION
   "proj=latlong"
  END
  TYPE POINT
  CLASS
   NAME "my_points"
   TITLE "My Points"
   COLOR 255 255 255
   SYMBOL 'circle'
   SIZE 5
  END
  STATUS OFF
  OFFSITE 0 0 0
  DATA "mypoints"
END

/*.......CIRCLE SYMBOL FROM SYMBOL FILE......*/

Symbol
Name 'circle'
Type ELLIPSE
Filled TRUE