[mapserver-users] Multiple map files - common GetCapabilities

Benoît Andrieu bea at ixsea.com
Wed Jun 4 04:42:50 EDT 2008

Hi All,

We have multiple map files (undefined number, could be thousands) and we would like to be compliant with OpenGIS standards.
Actually, we are not because a global GetCapabilities request can not work because of our mutiple map files.
So we would like to have global GetCapabilities requests working.

Multiple GetCapabilities on each of our map files is not what we want because those map files are dynamically generated.
So client softwares should have to know every of our map files in order to be able to request the whole data.

Is this possible to have a single map file referencing multiple map files ?
There is the cascading wms possibility but, from what I have seen on the web, it doesn't fetch the GetCapbilities of the underlying map server map files' so it doesn't work for us.

The only way I see is catching GetCapabilities requests, then foreach of the map files, submit a single a GetCapabilities, and then, merge all the xml responses in a single xml response.

Is there something else ??

Benoît Andrieu