[mapserver-users] mapserver wms: srs problem

Matthew Pettis matthew.pettis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 20:21:25 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am not a GIS guy, and am a bit confused by the projection attributes
i have to specify in mapserver.  In particular, I have a simple
example.  I have a map that has the following metadata:

Horizontal Coordinate Scheme   	 UTM
Ellipsoid 	GRS80
Horizontal Datum 	NAD83
Horizontal Units 	Meters
UTM Zone Number 	15

I believe this translates to an epsg=26915

Now, according to mapserver, I have to specify a projection object, a
web metadata srs, and a layer metadata srs.

To compress the mapfile, i'll just note what i have specified for each
of these settings.

First, I would think that this would work:

projection => init=epsg:26915
web metadata srs => EPSG:26915
layer metadata srs => EPSG:26915

this give me the error:
msWMSLoadGetMapParams(): WMS Server Error. Invalid SRS given.  SRS
must be valid for all requested layers.

I only have the one layer (it's of the state of MN from www.gis.leg.mn).

However, the following renders, but I don't think it is the projection
i want (as the top of MN is too wide):

projection => init=epsg:26915
web metadata srs => EPSG:26915
layer metadata srs => EPSG:4326

Now, I am using mapserver as a WMS.  Before I was using it NOT as a
WMS, but just making it render the shapefile without any projection
information, it worked, and it was the projection I had come to expect
when seeing the state of MN rendered.

Why does my first configuration give me an error?
How can I make it render in the way I expect without giving mapserver
explicit projection instructions?

please forgive the ignorance of map projection knowledge.

thanks,
matt
--
It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places that we are
broken that we come to repair the world.