[MAPSERVER-USERS] MapFile2XML conversion

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Jun 11 11:39:30 EDT 2008

John,

You're starting to think about two different applications of XML.  I was interested in setting up the XML to reflect the typical MapFile contents and use the XML for the Map generation out of MapServer.  KML is a output format option, that would be output by MapServer, (possibly using this new XML MapServer control) to format the KML output.

I would still tend to keep the configurations as file based as well, the DB approach just aloows for much more flexibilty for those hardcore programmers, and the MapFiles, don't input into a DB very easily.

bobb

>>> John Callahan <diodata at udel.edu> wrote:
Is it possible to allow MapServer to use KML, or a variation thereof?
I really don't what would be entailed.  For example, KML can store
coordinates for displaying vectors, which would be pointless in our
context.  Can KML point to shapefiles or tables for vectors like it can
point to TIFs for rasters?  If so, it seems like the infrastructure
(styling, external editing packages, viewers, conversion tools, wide
adoption) is already there to build on.  Can we pull pieces from KML to
make it easier for people to adopt without learning a new structure?

+1 on keeping the configuration maps as file based.  Databases are great
for many reasons but add an entirely new level of complexity (and points
of failure) for any application.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer