[mapserver-users] 64 bits version of MapServer

Léveillé, James James.Leveille at mtq.gouv.qc.ca
Mon Jun 16 13:46:10 EDT 2008

Hi,

We've been using MapServer for a while. It has been used to produce maps for
the "Inforoutière", the official source of all the information needed to
plan safe trips on Québec's road network, whatever the season.

It has been running on Windows 2003 (32 bits) for over a year.
At the beginning, many "stress tests" were realised.
We were able to generate around 12 maps / second.
But now, due to the popularity of the site, this seems not to be enough in
special occasions, such as during a snow storm.
The bottle neck seems to be the CPU.

One of the few options we were looking at is the possibility of using a 64
bits version of MapServer (on a 64 bits OS of course).

My question is simple : has any one tested a 64 bits version ? Can I expect
a better performance ? Is there a 64 bits version available for download
(I've been using the MS4W Windows binary distribution version) ?

Thanks in advance.

JAMES LÉVEILLÉ
Service des systèmes de Mission
Direction des technologies de l'information
Ministère des Transports du Québec

5833, boul. Pierre-Bertrand, 2ième étage
Québec (Québec) G2K 1K7
Téléphone:   (418) 380-2005 poste 227
Télécopieur: (418) 644-6653
james.leveille at mtq.gouv.qc.ca <mailto:james.leveille at mtq.gouv.qc.ca>