[mapserver-users] 64 bits version of MapServer

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Jun 16 14:51:05 EDT 2008

James,

Unless you have already done so, optimizing your mapfile and data will
yield improvements in map rendering speed that would probably be more
substantial than switching to 64 bit builds.  Of course, under 100 ms
per map draw doesn't sound too bad so you have probably implemented
most optimizations already.

The basic optimizations I can think of quickly are:

* use tiled, indexed shape files for vector data and tiled/overviewed
tif files for raster data
* eliminate all unused attributes from the dbf files
* use fastcgi
* draw smaller maps

Other optimizations might include:

* use a faster operating system (linux) with a light-weight web server
(lighttpd is typically faster than apache for instance)
* use scale ranges to limit the data that has to be drawn at any given
scale
* precompute attribute values to avoid non-trivial class expressions
* use RAM disks for your data, or at a minimum faster hard drives
* using preset scales and simplifying/generalizing your data for each
scale so you have the minimum amount of data to process
* eliminate extraneous cartography (draw less)
* eliminate extraneous data (that lies outside of the region of
interest)
* use a tiled client such as openlayers, prerender your static data
into tiles and overlay only dynamically changing data using  either
map draws or vectors