[MAPSERVER-USERS] 64 bits version of MapServer

Jason Pickering jason.p.pickering at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 16:13:53 EDT 2008

In my experience, massive performance gains can be realized by
intelligent caching and load balancing. . One need only to look to
Google. Their layers are not rendered dynamically, but are cached and
load balanced (of course on a massive scale).

I am not convinced moving to a 64 bit architecture would offer
significant performance gains, when compared to optimization of your
map file (mentioned earlier), proper indexing and optimization of your
spatial database backend (if appropriate), caching with something like
TileCache or Geowebcache or similar caching mechanism,  implementation
of multiple redundant servers with an appropriate load balancing
scheme , and possible mosaicing of large images might be a better
solution for you. My two cents anyway..