[MAPSERVER-USERS] Linux installation

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 13:50:41 EST 2008

Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> I just wrote a quick and dirty cookbook howto for debian:
> http://www.duif.net/postgis

I also run mapserver on debian (though etch and sarge, not lenny; and build
from source, not install mapserver dpkgs).  Glancing at your notes, I have
one minor comment:

On your apt-get install line, why specifically "postgresql-8.2-postgis" ?
Imho, it's better in general not to specify the version unless you have a
specific need for a specific version, and instead just let the packaging
system pick what is the most appropriate version.  So unless there's a
specific need, I would ammend that to say simply "postgresql-postgis".  That
way your instructions are a bit generic, and if someone is trying them in
the future on some other distribution where that maps to a different
version, they're not constrained to a specific version (there might be
something later, or maybe 8.2 isn't even available for their distribution).

Unless, of course, there's some reason that you really need that particular
version.  (Although on etch and sarge I'm using 8.1 implicitly and all is
fine.)

Also, if someone is brand new to linux, I might first suggest a released,
stable distribution (sarge), and not one that's only available in testing.

- Rich