[MAPSERVER-USERS] Tiff files with different projections in the samelayer

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Mar 14 11:39:25 EDT 2008

Pål -

The problem is that your TILEINDEX shapefile is only in one projection, and there is no facility for recording per-file projection parameters in it.

I would instead recommend that you create one layer, and one TILEINDEX, for each distinct projection, and then create a GROUP that combines all these layers into a single logical layer you can turn on or off and treat as if it were a single layer.

     - Ed

P.S. I wonder if it *might* be possible to bundle these in one layer if you reprojected each image into a common projection, created a TILEINDEX for those files, then replaced those reprojected files with the originals.  The TILEINDEX is used to quickly identify candidate images for use in rendering the map request, and GDAL *might* respect the projection in the GeoTIFF once the file was opened.  But I've never tried that and I think the GROUP approach I described is much simpler and safer.

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305