[mapserver-users] AGG vs. GD: Label placement problems

Doyon, Jean-Francois jdoyon at NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Mar 17 14:53:59 EDT 2008

G'day,

We're experimenting with AGG, and have noticed a little problem ... not sure of the source, or whether we can address it through a mapfile though.

Note these 2 images:

http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/gd.gif
http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/agg.png

One is GD/GIF, the other is AGG/PNG.  All other things are equal (MapServer 5.0.2).

Labels that are to the left of the point seem to be placed differently ... Look top-right ("Les Escoumins", "Saint Anne de Port Neuf", etc ...) for an example, though it happens all over the place I think.  Labels to the right of the point however seem ok.

Is this a bug? A design change?  Can anything be done from the mapfiel to mitigate this?

Oh and what's the recommended FreeType version these days? This MapServer is runnning against 2.1.10.

Thank you,

Jean-François Doyon
Applications Development Solutions | Solutions de développement d'applications
IT Support Services | Services de support TI
Information Technology Services | Services de la technologie d'information
Shared Services Office | Bureau des services partagés
Corporate Management and Services Sector | Secteur de la gestion et des services intégrés
Natural Resources Canada | Ressources naturelles Canada
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0E9
jdoyon at nrcan-rncan.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-992-4902
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-995-3252
Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 613-996-4397