VS: [mapserver-users] [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] can i pass variables toshp2img?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 12:22:35 EDT 2008

John Smith wrote:
> frank,
> ok so it's easier to get to the image using shp2img.exe since
> mapserv.exe dumps the image in /temp/ under a random name.
>
> but how'd i get the image name just using mapserv.exe from commandline?

John,

If you are running mapserv in WMS mode, the image is written to
stdout, and can be redirected to any file.

If traditional mode, the filename base is created with msTmpFile()
which normally uses the time and processed id as part of the filename.
But you can use the undocumented -tmpbase switch to mapserv at the
commandline to force a new value for this base to give predictable
temp file names.

eg.

mapserv -tmpbase test QUERY_STRING='...'

I implemented this for testing scripts but in the end didn't need
it so it is possible that it is somewhat broken.

Best regards,